Declaration of Interests
Section 140 of the National Health Service Act 2006, inserted by the Health and Social Care Act 2012, sets out that each CCG must:
- Maintain one or more registers of interest of: the members of the group, members of its governing body, members of its committees or sub-committees of its governing body, and its employees;
- publish, or make arrangements to ensure that members of the public have access to these registers on request;
- make arrangements to ensure individuals declare any conflict or potential conflict in relation to a decision to be made by the group, and record them in the registers as soon as they become aware of it, and within 28 days; and
- make arrangements, set out in their constitution, for managing conflicts of interest, and potential conflicts of interest in such a way as to ensure that they do not and do not appear to, affect the integrity of the group’s decision-making processes.
- NHS England guidance ‘Managing conflicts of interests: Guidance for Clinical Commissioning Groups’ details how CCG’s should maintain a register of interest.
Interests that should be declared:
- Roles and Responsibilities held within member practices.
- Directorships, including non-executive directorships held in private companies or PLCs (with the exception of those of dormant companies).
- Ownership or part-ownership of private companies, businesses or consultancies likely or potentially seeking to do business with the NHS.
- Majority or controlling shareholdings (more than 5%) in organisations likely or possibly seeking to do business with the CCG.
- A position of authority in a charity or voluntary organisation in the field of health and social care.
- Any connection with a voluntary or other organisation contracting for NHS services.
- Research funding/grants that may be received by an individual or their department.
- Any other role or relationship which the public could perceive would impair or otherwise influence the individual’s judgment or actions in their role within the CCG, whether such interests are those of the individual themselves or of a family member, close friend or other acquaintance of the individual.
The register for the CCG is detailed below. In line with NHS England guidance these are refreshed every three months.